Definition of rose-breasted grosbeak in English:
A North American grosbeak, the male of which is black and white with a pinkish-red breast patch.
- Pheucticus ludovicianus, family Emberizidae (subfamily Cardinalinae)
- Fall migrants arrive as they continue their journey from more northerly areas to the south, our first being a male rose-breasted grosbeak.
- More flashy visitors arrived from the south - northern orioles, rose-breasted grosbeaks, bright yellow American goldfinches.
- For those of you who have never had the pleasure of meeting this handsome bird, the rose-breasted grosbeak is a study in contrast, pitch black above and stark white below.
Definition of rose-breasted grosbeak in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia