Definition of rough cut in English:
The first version of a movie after preliminary editing.
- The film, which was submitted to Sundance at the rough-cut stage, was not accepted.
- Also included are nine deleted scenes, which are thankfully not presented in rough-cut footage form.
- I want to see the completed film, not the rough cut sent to me by the cinematographer.
verb(rough-cut) [with object] Back to top
Cut (something) rapidly and without particular attention to quality or accuracy: it would be best to rough-cut the boards to size with a portable saw
More example sentences
- The book describes cutting and rounding the log, drawing the design, rough-cutting the figure, carving the add-on pieces, rounding figures and carving faces.
- It can be used on some dry-clean only fabrics if they're first rough-cut allowing enough excess fabric that the shrinkage incurred won't affect cutting the final pattern piece.
Definition of rough cut in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan