Definition of roundelay in English:
1A short simple song with a refrain.
- I've passed girls singing choral roundelays on Holyrood Road.
- They sat next to each other, face-to face, in the background, a roundelay of harp music playing softly.
- Metz's new arrangement focuses on ensembles supporting the soloists, and a concluding sixteen-bar roundelay with piano exchanges between clarinet, saxophone, trombone, and drums.
1.1A circle dance.
- Many felt the director did just that with this film, a clever but routine roundelay of British aristocracy and murder.
- The film is a roundelay of unfulfilled desires: Frances is a beautiful woman, now dying, who wants to heal the emotional damage she's left in her wake.
- There is a comic roundelay that makes sense on its face, but if you think about it for a second, you realize how forced and unreal it is.
Words that rhyme with roundelaymisplay • cantabile
Definition of roundelay in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan