(also rowan tree)
Definition of rowan in English:
1A mountain ash, in particular the European Sorbus aucuparia.
- Our own native rowan, Sorbus aucuparia, has orange-red berries, which appear in early September and which have largely been eaten by the end of the same month.
- Australians call these mountain ash, but they are unrelated to the rowan and mountain ash of Europe and North America.
- Much of the weed was cleared out to allow easy angling, though plenty of silver birch, rowan, alder, sycamore and pine remain to provide a scenic backdrop.
1.1 (also rowan berry) The scarlet berry of the rowan tree.
- The school grounds, which are according to Eanna ‘excellent - great for safe exploring and very well planted’, served up a wonderful array of elderberries, blackberries, privet berries, haws, rose hips and rowan berries.
- Eriksson and Nummi determined fairly low ethanol contents for rowan berries, rose-hips, and hawthorn fruits in autumn and winter conditions in Finland.
- Blackwell staff are also keen to encourage visually impaired visitors to discover many of the tactile features of Blackwell's home grown Arts and Crafts design - such as the carved oak panelling of rowan berries in the main hall.
Words that rhyme with rowananthozoan, bryozoan, Goan, hydrozoan, Minoan, protozoan, protozoon, Samoan, spermatozoon
Definition of rowan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.