- The sport or pastime of propelling a boat by means of oars.
Racing takes place in narrow, light boats ( shells), between single rowers ( scullers) with two oars, or between crews of two, four, or eight people with one oar each; crews are often steered by a coxswainMore example sentences
- Most athletes do not pick up the sport of rowing until university.
- Bedford's most famous sports are athletics and rowing.
- The club has a five-year development plan to achieve a high level of community involvement, in order to become self-sustaining as a regional centre for the sport of rowing.
More definitions of rowingDefinition of rowing in:
- The British & World English dictionary