Definition of rubber plant in English:
1An evergreen tree of the fig family that has large dark green shiny leaves and is widely cultivated as a houseplant. Native to Southeast Asia, it was formerly grown as a source of rubber.
- Ficus elastica, family Moraceae
- Suitable specimens include the rubber plant, Ficus elastica ‘Decora’; weeping fig, Ficus benjamina; Dracaena marginata ‘Tricolor’, poinsettias and African violets.
- Plants apparently go out of fashion and Chris and Geoff talked about not being able to buy a rubber plant anywhere in Alice Springs even though they grow really well here.
- The homey Sunday depicts an easy chair draped with a Navajo-style rug and positioned beside a bluish rubber plant, with hints of sky through a rear window: one can imagine sections of the New York Times scattered about the floor.
Definition of rubber plant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan