nounNorth American • informal
- A country bumpkin.More example sentences
- It's all about retailing efficiency, they tell us, as though we are gullible rubes who don't know that computers mean fewer retail clerks, more technological glitches, and much consumer frustration.
- In his self-satisfied sense of superiority, it never even occurred to him that he might have been addressing one of those ignorant rubes who voted for him.
- It's just not as simple as it used to be to round up the rubes and tell them what they believe.
late 19th century: abbreviation of the given name Reuben.
More definitions of rubeDefinition of rube in:
- The British & World English dictionary