Definition of ruddy duck in English:
A New World stiff-tailed duck with a broad bill, the male having mainly deep red-brown plumage and white cheeks.
- Oxyura jamaicensis, family Anatidae
- Brightly coloured bushes and flowers carpet the windswept hills, and in every hollow there are lakes or ponds teeming with black-necked swans, upland geese, ruddy ducks and silvery teal.
- Dr Cuthbert said as the white headed duck's main centre was in Russia, not Spain, there was no proof the ruddy ducks from Britain were responsible for the inter-breeding and that many hybrids died off.
- Having read the letter by Ajaye Curry regarding the culling of ruddy ducks in Britain, I felt it necessary to reply to put this issue in context.
Definition of ruddy duck in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan