(also rudistid /ˈro͞odistid/)
Definition of rudist in English:
A cone-shaped extinct bivalve mollusk that formed colonies resembling reefs in the Cretaceous period.
- Superfamily Rudistacea, order Hippuritoida
- An extinct group of Mesozoic bivalves, the rudistids, became closely adapted to a cemented mode of life: one valve became conical while the other formed a lid.
- Cretaceous radiations of rudists were apparently initiated during periods of globally high sea level and the Lebanon decapod faunas are a part of this general increasing invertebrate diversity.
- This member contains abundant and diverse mid-Cretaceous shallow-marine invertebrates, including reef corals and rudist bivalves.
Definition of rudist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan