verb (rues, rueing or ruing, rued)[with object]
- Labour could be left ruing that decision this weekend.
- Residents who planted trees on this road are now ruing the decision that they once thought would help the community.
- States that worked hard to attract high-tech jobs are also ruing the decision, and discovering that a more diversified economy is more prosperous during the bust.
nounarchaic Back to top
- Burginde came around the end of the waggon, and with a look of mingled pity and rue, helped me guide her charge back to our waggon.
- Filmmakers from these countries reflect on those old ties with a combination of curiosity, rue and rage.
- Yet audiences flocked to see Gordin's terse presentation of sorrow and rue.
Old English hrēow 'repentance', hrēowan 'affect with contrition', of Germanic origin; related to Dutch rouw 'mourning' and German Reue 'remorse'.
Words that rhyme with rueaccrue, adieu, ado, anew, Anjou, aperçu, askew, ballyhoo, bamboo, bedew, bestrew, billet-doux, blew, blue, boo, boohoo, brew, buckaroo, canoe, chew, clew, clou, clue, cock-a-doodle-doo, cockatoo, construe, coo, Corfu, coup, crew, Crewe, cru, cue, déjà vu, derring-do, dew, didgeridoo, do, drew, due, endue, ensue, eschew, feu, few, flew, flu, flue, foreknew, glue, gnu, goo, grew, halloo, hereto, hew, Hindu, hitherto, how-do-you-do, hue, Hugh, hullabaloo, imbrue, imbue, jackaroo, Jew, kangaroo, Karroo, Kathmandu, kazoo, Kiangsu, knew, Kru, K2, kung fu, Lahu, Lanzhou, Lao-tzu, lasso, lieu, loo, Lou, Manchu, mangetout, mew, misconstrue, miscue, moo, moue, mu, nardoo, new, non-U, nu, ooh, outdo, outflew, outgrew, peekaboo, Peru, pew, plew, Poitou, pooh, pooh-pooh, potoroo, pursue, queue, revue, roo, roux, Selous, set-to, shampoo, shih-tzu, shoe, shoo, shrew, Sioux, skean dhu, skew, skidoo, slew, smew, snafu, sou, spew, sprue, stew, strew, subdue, sue, switcheroo, taboo, tattoo, thereto, thew, threw, thro, through, thru, tickety-boo, Timbuktu, tiramisu, to, to-do, too, toodle-oo, true, true-blue, tu-whit tu-whoo, two, vendue, view, vindaloo, virtu, wahoo, wallaroo, Waterloo, well-to-do, whereto, whew, who, withdrew, woo, Wu, yew, you, zoo
- Ruta graveolens, family Rutaceae
- Many herbs can help to deter flies, such as lavender, sweet woodruff, lemon verbena, star anise, tansy, any of the mints, rosemary, bay, chamomile, rue, elder, southernwood and basil.
- The medical use of rue is very wide.
- In ancient Greece and Egypt, rue was employed to stimulate menstrual bleeding, induce abortions, and strengthen eyesight.
- The dainty blooms of this early flowering meadow rue provide an excellent contrast with larger flowered plants.
- This combination of management and heavy, poorly-drained soils favoured characteristic plants such as great burnet, devil's bit scabious, meadow rue and pepper saxifrage.
- In addition to its lactogenic properties, goat's rue comes from the same family as fenugreek and is also considered to have anti-diabetic properties.
Middle English: from Old French, via Latin ruta from Greek rhutē.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.