Definition of ruffed lemur in English:
A lemur with a prominent muzzle and dense fur that forms a ruff around the neck, living in the Madagascan rain forest.
- Varecia variegata, family Lemuridae
- Besides working on lorises, she has studied ruffed lemurs, flying squirrels, opossums, civets, and several species of bats.
- Other animals at Folly Farm that are included in the European endangered species breeding programme are the black and white ruffed lemurs, the red ruffed lemurs and the Arabian oryx.
- Black and white ruffed lemurs are found in the wild only in Eastern Madagascar, and are becoming increasingly endangered due to the destruction of their rainforest habitat, poaching for meat and fur, and commercial exportation.
Definition of ruffed lemur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.