Definition of rug in English:
1A floor covering of thick woven material or animal skin, typically not extending over the entire floor.
- Woven rugs often cover the floors of Uzbek houses.
- Woven rugs covered the hardwood floor, the many rooms visible on their course quite large and possessing great amounts of valuables.
- Though it had tried, the company had not succeeded in establishing its rugs as year-round floor coverings.
1.1chiefly British A thick woolen coverlet or wrap, used especially when traveling.
- When he was lowered to the ground, his box was tipped on its side to enable an emotional Blaine to stagger out wrapped in a rug.
- But stoics take rugs, umbrellas, thick coats and bracing amounts of booze.
- During the summer months, the light lasts well into the evening while passengers sit on deck, wrapped in rugs, marvelling at the beauty of the glaciers.
1.2 informal , chiefly North American A toupee or wig.
- I hereby sentence the actors to get a haircut so they won't need to wear the bad rugs.
- I was actually disappointed that his tresses were not the result of a bad rug.
- One in 10 is tempted to conceal her wayward tresses under a rug when it becomes frizzy, dry, dull or takes on a life of its own.
pull the rug (out) from under
- Abruptly withdraw support from (someone): the rug was pulled right out from beneath our feetMore example sentences
- More importantly, though, Russell's narrative pulls the rug from under us, changing our perceptions of all three characters.
- But yesterday he effectively pulled the rug from under them by introducing 19 per cent corporation tax levy on those profits.
- In both countries, it was the external patron whom the local regimes had relied on for protection that pulled the rug from under them.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia