noun (plural runners-up)
- 1A competitor or team taking second place in a contest: he was runner-up in the 200 m individual medleyMore example sentences
- The Oakbank Fastbats second team were runners-up in Division Three.
- They won the first tournament's doubles finals and were then runners-up in the second tournament.
- Keybury Security's six-a-side soccer team were runners-up in the Bradford Monday Premier League.
- 1.1A competitor finishing behind the winner in the specified position: third runner-up in last year’s electionMore example sentences
- Everyone was standing in exultation when he was named as third runner-up.
- He is coming off his third runner-up finish, and he also has a victory at Phoenix.
- She also ended up being the fourth runner-up in the contest, as a 20- year-old dancer from Japan, was named Miss Universe 2007.
More definitions of runner-upDefinition of runner-up in:
- The British & World English dictionary