Definition of running gear in English:
1The moving parts of a machine, especially the wheels, steering, and suspension of a vehicle.
- The running gear features torsion bar suspension with hydraulic shock absorbers at one, two and six road wheel stations and tracks with rubber-metallic pin hinges.
- The running gear has torsion bar suspension with an adjustable damping system and automatic block mechanism without stabilising spades.
- Thanks to the excellence of the new Fiesta platform, suspension and running gear, the Fusion has fine road behaviour.
1.1The moving rope and tackle used in handling a boat.
- I started off by baiting a swim about 13 ft from the bank in about 4ft of water before casting my pole tackle on running gear into the swim.
- The keel is cut away aft for installation of the propeller and rudder and protects the running gear from damage by accidental grounding.
- I use these with a running line to get the sensitivity of the pole rig but with the advantages of running gear when playing fish.
Definition of running gear in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan