Definition of runtime in English:
2 Computing The length of time a program takes to run.
- Further, heuristical simplifications are described to reduce run-times for the optimization process.
- New, much more aggressive models are needed, and unfortunately we will pay a heavy penalty in run-times and convergence.
- The algorithm run-time increases in polynomial time, and so the problem is called ‘P-type’.
2.1The time at or during which a program is run.
- Given the architecture's dynamic reconfigurability, objects with different operation cycles can be instantiated at run-time.
- At run-time, an in-memory representation of the structured data type is generated using information conveyed in the parse trees.
- Once the first preprocessing step is complete, the second step may be executed at run-time, while a user is inspecting, or visualizing, the input.
2.2A cut-down version of a program that can be run but not changed: you can distribute the runtime to your colleagues
More example sentences
- He is co-author of C# and the accompanying (but usually ignored) common run-time: Microsoft's version of a JVM.
- Plaintiffs indicate that he will testify that he was able to run and test various applications on these embedded run-times.
- Mono is a run-time and C# compiler, but the team has included just-in-time support an IDE, and intriguingly, both a Visual Basic runtime and a Java VM.
adjectiveBack to top
(Of software) in a reduced version that can be run but not changed.
- He spent a lot of time trying to force me to answer a question about how long it would take to download a JRE [Java run-time environment] using DSL or cable broadband.
- This job starts the local area multicomputer software, which is a user-level, dæmon-based run-time environment.
- What the company is releasing is source code for the database of automated solutions, the tools to develop solutions, and the run-time version of the symptom and detection engine.
Definition of runtime in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan