- The chemical element of atomic number 104, a very unstable element made by high-energy atomic collisions. (Symbol: Rf)More example sentences
- The American team, on the other hand, proposed the name rutherfordium for the new element, in honor of the great British scientist Sir Ernest Rutherford.
- And the Berkeley name for element 104, rutherfordium, was surely an honour due to one of the century's greatest nuclear physicists.
- The daughter isotope, rutherfordium - 259 (an isotope of element 104), recoiled into an opposing detector.
1960s: modern Latin, named after E. Rutherford (see Rutherford, Sir Ernest).
More definitions of rutherfordiumDefinition of rutherfordium in:
- The British & World English dictionary