A member of an ancient Semitic people who ruled Saba in southwestern Arabia until overrun by Persians and Arabs in the 6th century ad.
- The situation was somewhat more complicated than that proposed by Eratosthenes, but today the names for the races proposed by Eratosthenes, namely Minaeans, Sabaeans, Qatabanians, and Hadramites, are still used.
- Coins and religious relics show that the ancient Sabaeans, as Shebas subjects were known, worshipped multiple gods with the sun as the supreme deity.
- The original script was probably common to the ancient Sabæans, Phnicians, Aramæans and Hebrews.
Relating to the Sabaeans.
- It issued its own currency and was a literate society with a unique language and script based on the Sabaean alphabet, related to that used in South Arabia and hence to Hebrew.
- Between the 12 th century BC and the 6th century AD, it was part of the Minaean, Sabaean, and Himyarite kingdoms, which controlled the lucrative spice trade, and later came under Ethiopian and Persian rule.
- Some scholars think that there might have been a Sabaean tribe in the north of Arabia, toward Dedan.
Words that rhyme with SabaeanActaeon, Aegean, aeon (US eon), Augean, Behan, Cadmean, Caribbean, Carolean, Chaldean, Cyclopean, empyrean, epicurean, European, Fijian, Galilean, Hasmonean, Hebridean, Herculean, Ian, Jacobean, Kampuchean, Laodicean, lien, Linnaean (US Linnean), Maccabean, Mandaean (US Mandean), Medicean, monogenean, Nabataean (US Nabatean), Orphean, paean, paeon, pean, peon, Periclean, piscean, plebeian, Pyrenean, Pythagorean, Sadducean, Sisyphean, skean, Tanzanian, Tennesseean, Terpsichorean, theodicean, Tyrolean
Definition of Sabaean in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.