Definition of sabermetrics in English:
The application of statistical analysis to baseball records, especially in order to evaluate and compare the performance of individual players.
- The Red Sox's new management team includes both Bill James, the godfather of statistical analysis, or sabermetrics, and former Tigers general manager Bill Lajoie, a classic evaluator.
- Whereas Baltimore's Weaver in the 1970s was canonized for the index cards he kept on individual players, now a whole body of mathematical analysis, sabermetrics, has left no stat unturned.
- Part One covered Mike's opinions on topics ranging from his beloved Phillies to sabermetrics to his favorite players and baseball heroes.
- Example sentences
- Continuing the sports-blogging of today, Baseball America has a fascinating discussion between two old-style baseball scouts and two new-style sabermetricians.
- That view remains popular among sabermetricians and explains their alarm when Rangers second baseman Alfonso Soriano was revealed to be 28 rather than 26 after being traded by the Yankees for Alex Rodriguez.
- I'm guessing sabermetricians will freak over my selection of Podsednik; his slugging percentage ranked only 39th among American League outfielders.
1980s: from SABR, acronym from Society for American Baseball Research, + metrics.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.