1A marten with a short tail and dark brown fur, native to Japan and Siberia and valued for its fur.
- Martes zibellina, family Mustelidae
- Tradition had it that the island was rich in game (reindeer, polar bears, sables, marten, fish, and certain monsters - perhaps walrus), and that it abounded in marble, crystals, and so on.
- Then patrol the shorelines to observe sables and the world's biggest brown bears, and to scout potential nature-reserve sites.
- He wrote, ‘The principal riches of Kamchatka consist in the great number of wild beasts: among them are foxes, sables, stone foxes, hares, marmots, ermines, weasels, wolves, reindeer, wild and tame, and stone rams.’
1.1The fur of the sable.
- Larsson should have been adorned in ermine and sable in Andalucia.
- Even at its zenith in the mid-20th century, mink had few rivals, with only sable and the pelts of big cats bestowing anywhere near the same prestige.
- He does not wear his silks and sables to accurately represent his status, nor does he dress sumptuously to insidiously advance himself.
adjectiveliterary or Heraldry
nounBack to top
1 literary or Heraldry Black.
- For instance, the use of the word sable to describe the skin color of her race imparts a suggestion of rarity and richness that also makes affiliation with the group of which she is a part something to be desired and even sought after.
- The pants were plain enough, tight, but of a good silk in a rich sable.
- He would have liked to have seen her sable colored hair in a less formal style.
2 (also sable antelope) A large African antelope with long curved horns, the male of which has a black coat and the female a russet coat, both having a white belly.
- Hippotragus niger, family Bovidae
- The 14 species of the game include giraffes, zebras, sables, kudus, elands, impalas, pukus, waterbucks, reedbucks, siatoongas, bushbucks, common buickers and graycebucks.
- Also present are elephant, sable antelope, reedbuck, common duiker, blue and vervet monkeys.
- I grew up with impala and sable antelope, burnt-amber kudu, zebra and wiry wildebeest.