1A marten with a short tail and dark brown fur, native to Japan and Siberia and valued for its fur.
- Martes zibellina, family Mustelidae
- Tradition had it that the island was rich in game (reindeer, polar bears, sables, marten, fish, and certain monsters - perhaps walrus), and that it abounded in marble, crystals, and so on.
- Then patrol the shorelines to observe sables and the world's biggest brown bears, and to scout potential nature-reserve sites.
- He wrote, ‘The principal riches of Kamchatka consist in the great number of wild beasts: among them are foxes, sables, stone foxes, hares, marmots, ermines, weasels, wolves, reindeer, wild and tame, and stone rams.’
1.1The fur of the sable.
- Larsson should have been adorned in ermine and sable in Andalucia.
- Even at its zenith in the mid-20th century, mink had few rivals, with only sable and the pelts of big cats bestowing anywhere near the same prestige.
- He does not wear his silks and sables to accurately represent his status, nor does he dress sumptuously to insidiously advance himself.
Words that rhyme with sableAbel, able, Babel, cable, enable, fable, gable, label, Mabel, stable, table
adjectiveliterary or Heraldry
- Her skin was sable black and shining lightening blue.
- As he left, he did not notice the hateful eyes of the sable raven, watching Calanthas go, from a windowsill.
- Although her intended audience is not black, she still refers to ‘our sable race.’
1 literary or Heraldry Black.
- For instance, the use of the word sable to describe the skin color of her race imparts a suggestion of rarity and richness that also makes affiliation with the group of which she is a part something to be desired and even sought after.
- The pants were plain enough, tight, but of a good silk in a rich sable.
- He would have liked to have seen her sable colored hair in a less formal style.
2 (also sable antelope) A large African antelope with long curved horns, the male of which has a black coat and the female a russet coat, both having a white belly.
- Hippotragus niger, family Bovidae
- The 14 species of the game include giraffes, zebras, sables, kudus, elands, impalas, pukus, waterbucks, reedbucks, siatoongas, bushbucks, common buickers and graycebucks.
- Also present are elephant, sable antelope, reedbuck, common duiker, blue and vervet monkeys.
- I grew up with impala and sable antelope, burnt-amber kudu, zebra and wiry wildebeest.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.