Definition of saccharin in English:
A sweet-tasting synthetic compound used in food and drink as a substitute for sugar.
- Alternative name: o-sulfobenzoic imide; chemical formula: C7H5NO3S
- The only non-sugar sweetener at present licensed for use in most countries is saccharin, a synthetic substance made from coal tar.
- In the United States, four artificial sweeteners are approved for use: saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, and acesulfame-K.
- Pressure groups have asked the government to ban aspartame and saccharin and hydrogenated fat and oil from our foods and their response has been that there isn't enough conclusive evidence.
Words that rhyme with saccharinsaccharine
Definition of saccharin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.