Definition of saddleback in English:
1 Architecture A tower roof that has two opposite gables connected by a pitched section.
- Working within the constraints of strict planning codes, which imposing the style of local farmhouses stipulated a saddleback roof form with projecting eaves.
- Holy Trinity, which has 12th century foundations, medieval stained glass, 18th century box pews and an unusual saddleback roof, was rescued from oblivion by Goodramgate's traders, who evolved into the Friends of Holy Trinity.
- In the Middle Sepik area the haus tambarins are massive structures, often over 50 m long and with a saddleback roof rising to a spire at each end up to 25 m high.
3A pig of a black breed with a white stripe across the back.
- So I bought three saddleback pigs, and I fed them and that was that.
- Nicky, a six-year-old British saddleback, is one of the star attractions at the 4.5 acre farm that offers youngsters from Southampton the chance to interact with animals and learn about the farming environment.
4A New Zealand wattlebird with mainly black plumage, a reddish-brown back, and two small red wattles under the bill.
- Philesturnus carunculatus, family Callaeidae
- The saddleback, a black wattlebird with a tan saddle of feathers on its back and a pendulous orange wattle at the base of its bill, has been translocated 27 times since 1925 and now inhabits approximately 16 islands.
- Williamson begins his journey among the bellbirds and saddlebacks of the Wattle Track on Tiritiri Matangi Island in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf.
- But by now biologists have observed them attacking adult saddlebacks (a native songbird whose numbers are dwindling) and devouring eggs of the little shearwater (a native petrel).
Words that rhyme with saddlebackhatchback • camelback
Definition of saddleback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan