Definition of safe bet in English:
1A bet that is certain to succeed.
- They're the Treasury bonds of the high-roller restaurant world, the culinary equivalent of a safe bet.
- As for stocks, he's sticking to relatively safe bets like Mexican cement maker Cemex, which operates globally, and San Miguel Corp., Philippine beverage company.
- In North America, the majors' choke-hold on the market and radio, and their fear of anything but safe bets means they are throttling themselves into irrelevance.
1.1A thing in which confidence can be placed regarding a future outcome: it is a safe bet that the current owners will not sell
More example sentences
- It is a safe bet that the Kerry campaign would rather have not seen the story-line that a presidential candidate angers his hometown folks.
- It is a safe bet that the decision in Mahjoub's case will make Canada an even more attractive destination for terrorists.
- It is a safe bet that New Labour views the countryside with as much bemused disdain as it did in 1997-except now, they cannot say it.
Definition of safe bet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.