1A place of refuge or security.
- When hostilities began, people piled out of shares and invested in bonds on the grounds that government-backed securities offered a safe haven.
- The Alliance was a soft (or, depending on your point of view) sensible centre, a safe haven between extremes of monetarism and unilateral disarmament.
- More immediately, if we fail to act, no one can predict how far interest rates will rise or whether or when foreign investors will lose confidence in U.S. securities as a safe haven.
1.1Temporary refuge given to a persecuted person or group: refugees poured in and found safe haven
More example sentences
- Now, all of the applicants have been granted class 448 temporary safe haven visas.
- The government's measures are directed at deterring refugees from seeking safe haven in Australia by treating them as harshly as possible.
- Lilley also tells-all regarding how the US embassy gave safe haven to Chinese dissident Fang Lizhi and his wife, Li Shuxian.
Definition of safe haven in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.