Definition of safety factor in English:
1A margin of security against risks.
- Placing your hard-earned money with less secure firms in less well-regulated regimes because their offers are more enticing is simply taking on an increased element of risk and lowering your safety factor - perhaps unwisely.
- When no studies of the developmental toxicity of a pesticide have been undertaken, EPA should automatically incorporate a child-protective safety factor into risk assessment.
- Other benefits of a diesel installation of this sort include the safety factor (as there is less risk of combustible instances!) and increased deck space.
1.1 technical The ratio of a material’s strength to an expected strain.
- The nonlinear loading conditions of the plastic hinges were analyzed to assess their rotation capacity and shear strength, and a safety factor to prevent the progressive collapse was calculated.
- A series of plots of contours and critical surfaces corresponding to a number of stability ratios and tunnel depth to diameter ratios were devised and the relationship between the safety factor and stability ratio was obtained.
- The overall stability is governed by a failure mechanism passing below the structure with a safety factor of 2.11 under the undrained condition and 2.28 under the long-term drained condition.
Definition of safety factor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan