Definition of safety net in English:
1A net placed to catch an acrobat or similar performer in case of a fall.
- But the cliff under me crumbled away beneath me, and I fell without a safety net there to catch me.
- This new building is very close to the road and very high with no fencing around it or a safety net to catch anything that might fall.
- Tiger's branch was then cut off, while the SPCA waited below with a safety net to catch her.
1.1A safeguard against possible hardship or adversity: a safety net for workers who lose their jobs
More example sentences
- The spreading recession has exposed gaping holes in the safety net for workers and the poor.
- Workers have seen the standard of living, the social safety net, and wages decline over the last thirty years.
- They see us as do-nothing union workers who want a cushy safety net so we can suck off the government.
Definition of safety net in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan