Definition of safety valve in English:
1A valve opening automatically to relieve excessive pressure, especially in a boiler.
- He designed a safety valve to prevent the pressure of steam building up to dangerous levels.
- The harnessing of solar energy by photosynthesis depends on a safety valve that effectively eliminates hazardous excess energy and prevents oxidative damage to the plant cells.
- I wasn't satisfied with the strength of the cylinders in which the pressurised, volatile mixture was carried, and I wanted more tests carried out on the safety valve intended to prevent blowbacks.
1.1A means of giving harmless vent to feelings of tension or stress.
- Showing images of mere reversal may in fact provide a safety valve for the social tensions that the women's movement has created by demanding a more dominant role for women.
- Certain elements within the ruling class regarded the party as a useful potential safety valve amid mounting social tensions.
- Releasing our emotions can act as a safety valve - relieving inner tensions, like steam out of a kettle.
Definition of safety valve in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India