(also safranin /-nin/)
- Any of a large group of synthetic azo dyes, mainly red, used as biological stains.More example sentences
- At low power magnification, entire radial stem sections were imaged and the area stained by the safranin determined relative to the total amount of xylem tissue.
- Ten sections were stained with safranin / fast green, toluidine blue or ferrous sulfate for each of the two stems and two ages.
- The dye washed out of the Gram negative bacteria with alcohol and a pick counter stain, safranin, is added to color them so they can be easily seen.
mid 19th century (denoting the yellow coloring matter in saffron): from French.
More definitions of safranineDefinition of safranine in:
- The British & World English dictionary