Definition of sagebrush in English:
1A shrubby aromatic North American plant of the daisy family.
- Genus Artemisia, family Compositae: several species, in particular A. tridentata
- In summer months they eat cacti, sagebrush, mesquite, alfalfa, clover, other grasses, and herbaceous vegetation.
- Sideoats grama, buffalo grass, sagebrush, yucca and prickly pear cactus are also common on the canyon floor and walls.
- The sagebrush and yucca plants made the groups course jagged.
1.1Scrub that is dominated by sagebrush, occurring chiefly in semiarid regions of western North America.
- They appear to prefer areas dominated by sagebrush or bitterbrush, with native grasses intermixed, generally avoiding cheatgrass-dominated landscapes.
- A 1945 Forest Service publication declared that in areas where sagebrush had replaced grass, the problem was ‘sick land.’
- Although there is some overlap, dialect regions are generally separated by tracts of mostly unused sagebrush or forested areas.
Definition of sagebrush in:
- British & World English dictionary