Definition of sagittal in English:
1Relating to or denoting the suture on top of the skull that runs between the parietal bones in a front to back direction.
- The neurosurgeon reduces the occipital protuberance by securing the central sagittal strip to the occipital bones using nonabsorbable sutures or 28-g surgical steel wire.
- The sagittal suture extends midline along the vertex of the cranium from the anterior coronal suture line to the posterior lambdoidal suture line.
- A computed tomographic scan of the head demonstrated a superior sagittal sinus thrombosis and bilateral hemorrhagic infarcts of the parietal lobes.
2Of or in a plane parallel to the sagittal suture, especially that dividing the body into left and right halves.
- Most of the LHM in salamanders is located ventral to the vertebral centra, and therefore will tend to bend the body in the sagittal plane.
- Teach the client to reach away from the body in the sagittal plane and lengthen the spine.
- In addition, the inclination of fibers relative to the sagittal and transverse planes was lower than in wild type fish.
- Example sentences
- That of Ischyrotoma is more or less tab-shaped, not markedly longer sagittally, and has an essentially flat ventral profile.
- The trachea has a maximum transverse diameter of 16 mm, while sagittally, the trachea is narrower, having a maximal diameter of 14 mm.
- An extensive sheet of sagittally running fibers extends posteriorly and includes fibers of the posterior thalamic peduncle, anterior commissure, and optic radiation.
Definition of sagittal in:
- British & World English dictionary