Definition of sailfin molly in English:
A small, brightly colored freshwater fish, the male of which has a long, high dorsal fin. Native to North and Central America, it is popular in aquariums.
- Genus Poecilia, family Poeciliidae: P. latipinna and P. velifera
- Trexler et al. found that larger female sailfin mollies were more likely to be multiply inseminated than smaller females, and interpreted this as meaning that larger females are the objects of strong male-male competition.
- The sailfin molly is found in fresh, brackish, and coastal salt water in coastal lowland habitats from North Carolina to Texas and the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.
- Male Sailfin Mollies are impressive fish, decorated with a very large sail-like dorsal fin.
Sailfin with reference to the dorsal fin + molly.
Definition of sailfin molly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan