Definition of sailfish in English:
noun (plural same or sailfishes)
A fish with a high, sail-like dorsal fin, in particular.
- ● An edible migratory billfish that is a prized game fish (genus Istiophorus, family Istiophoridae, in particular I. platypterus). ● (also Celebes sailfish) A small tropical freshwater fish of Sulawesi, popular in aquariums (Telmatherina ladigesi, family Atherinidae).
- The fishermen also chartered a deep-sea fishing boat for the day while in the Seychelles, bagging boxfuls of bonito but failing to spot the prized sailfish or black marlin.
- In summer, great shoals of gamefish arrive, including giant kingfish, barracuda, sailfish and bonito.
- For game fisherman the great catches are marlin, sailfish, tarpon and bonefish.
Definition of sailfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.