Definition of sailfish in English:
noun (plural same or sailfishes)
A fish with a high, sail-like dorsal fin, in particular.
- ● An edible migratory billfish that is a prized game fish (genus Istiophorus, family Istiophoridae, in particular I. platypterus). ● (also Celebes sailfish) A small tropical freshwater fish of Sulawesi, popular in aquariums (Telmatherina ladigesi, family Atherinidae).
- The fishermen also chartered a deep-sea fishing boat for the day while in the Seychelles, bagging boxfuls of bonito but failing to spot the prized sailfish or black marlin.
- In summer, great shoals of gamefish arrive, including giant kingfish, barracuda, sailfish and bonito.
- For game fisherman the great catches are marlin, sailfish, tarpon and bonefish.
Definition of sailfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan