- The Nouveau goes well with cold cuts, salads, poultry, meat dishes and cheese.
- You can also use the young leaves of Florence Fennel in salads and other cold dishes.
- Hey, I even started putting oil and vinegar on my salads instead of salad cream.
- If you've got a dry bread, add a slice of tomato, a little extra mayo, or save it for tuna or egg salad.
- The tuna pasta salad was creamy with mayonnaise, and although I could taste some dill, it tasted flat and old.
- She also recommends pasta salad mixed with tuna, or bean and rice soups with fruit on the side.
- Sow salad crops directly into the ground to continue getting fresh plants.
Late Middle English: from Old French salade, from Provençal salada, based on Latin sal 'salt'.
One of many words that go back to Latin sal salt. The root implies that it was the dressing or seasoning that originally characterized a salad, and not the vegetables. The expression your salad days, ‘the time when you are young and inexperienced’, is one of Shakespeare's inventions, occurring in Antony and Cleopatra. The idea behind the phrase becomes clearer when you read the full line spoken by Cleopatra: ‘My salad days, When I was green in judgement’. Shakespeare used the word salad in a play on green, which is still used today in the sense ‘inexperienced or naïve’. The expression was made better known by the success of Julian Slade's 1956 musical Salad Days about some students starting out in the adult world.
Words that rhyme with saladballad
Definition of salad in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.