Definition of salal in English:
A North American plant of the heath family, with clusters of pink or white flowers and edible purple-black berries.
- Gaultheria shallon, family Ericaceae
- Amid that sea of sand, islands of forest appear, dense with Sitka spruce and salal and evergreen huckleberry.
- Without pausing she went forward until tall salal, wild spiraea bushes and thorny blackberry wands barred her way.
- Mounds, called hummocks, are the growing medium though which tangles of swamp laurel, Labrador tea, salal and native cranberries and blueberries grow.
early 19th century: from Chinook Jargon sallal.
Definition of salal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia