- (Chiefly in the Caribbean or South America) a salt pan, salt lake, or salt marsh.More example sentences
- Playas (salinas in South America; sabkhas or sebkhas in Africa) are found in closed interior basins, or bolsons, in arid regions.
- Salt deserts or salt pans - ‘salinas’ in Latin America - are among the most extreme habitats on Earth.
- Although the industry collapsed more than a century ago, the greater part of the island is occupied by the ‘salinas ‘or salt-ponds, with the remains of sluice gates and windmills still evident.’
late 16th century: from Spanish, from medieval Latin, 'salt pit', in Latin salinae (plural) 'salt pans'.
More definitions of SalinaDefinition of salina in:
- The British & World English dictionary