Definition of salmagundi in English:
noun (plural salmagundis)
1A dish of chopped meat, anchovies, eggs, onions, and seasoning.
- AN OLLA PODRIDA is a gallimaufry, a salmagundi, a potpourri, a hotchpotch, a miscellany of ingredients cooked together in the one pot.
- LL made an arugula salad and a salmagundi of fresh corn, black beans, roasted red peppers, lemon zest and lime juice.
1.1A general mixture; a miscellaneous collection.
- Published by Honestech (aka Honest Technology), Fireman is a mélange -- a salmagundi if you will -- of CD and DVD creation and tools.
- A salmagundi of Italian marble, Japanese carpet, matched rosewood, Hawaiian monkeypod wood, gold foil and tropical fish, the Sahara Inn is like a movie set for a dream sequence in a musical starring George Jessel and Zsa Zsa Gabor.
From French salmigondis, of unknown origin.
Definition of salmagundi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan