Definition of salmagundi in English:
noun (plural salmagundis)
1A dish of chopped meat, anchovies, eggs, onions, and seasoning.
- AN OLLA PODRIDA is a gallimaufry, a salmagundi, a potpourri, a hotchpotch, a miscellany of ingredients cooked together in the one pot.
- LL made an arugula salad and a salmagundi of fresh corn, black beans, roasted red peppers, lemon zest and lime juice.
1.1A general mixture; a miscellaneous collection.
- Published by Honestech (aka Honest Technology), Fireman is a mélange -- a salmagundi if you will -- of CD and DVD creation and tools.
- A salmagundi of Italian marble, Japanese carpet, matched rosewood, Hawaiian monkeypod wood, gold foil and tropical fish, the Sahara Inn is like a movie set for a dream sequence in a musical starring George Jessel and Zsa Zsa Gabor.
From French salmigondis, of unknown origin.
Definition of salmagundi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.