noun (plural same or (especially of types) salmons)
1A large edible fish that is a popular game fish, much prized for its pink flesh. Salmon mature in the sea but migrate to freshwater streams to spawn.
- Family Salmonidae (the salmon family): the Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), which sometimes returns to spawn two or three times, and five species of Pacific salmon (genus Oncorhynchus), which always die after spawning. The salmon family also includes trout, char, whitefish, and their relatives.
- Grilse salmon and sea trout spawn in Miller Beck along with brown trout, and enter it from the River Leven after swimming in from Morecambe Bay.
- But environmentalists claim pollution from cod farms could endanger already depleted Atlantic salmon and sea trout populations.
- Fish passes work like ladders, allowing the migrating sea trout and salmon to leap from one stage to the next over the weirs, which can be as high as five metres.
1.1The flesh of the salmon as food.
- Other foods such as salmon, sardines, white beans, tofu and collard greens also contain significant amounts of calcium.
- So I urge you to eat omega - 3-rich foods like salmon and mackerel several times a week.
- Oily fish such as herring, kippers, mackerel, pilchards, salmon, sardines and trout, contain oils that can lessen the risk of thrombosis.
2Any of a number of fishes that resemble the true salmons, in particular.
- (Australian salmon) A large green and silver fish of Australasian inshore waters, popular as a game fish (Arripis trutta, family Arripidae). A prized food fish of the drum family (Sciaenidae), in particular the Cape salmon of the Indian Ocean (Atractoscion aequidens) and sea trouts of the western Atlantic (genus Cynoscion)..
- The best fish to use is Cape salmon (gelbeck) and cod (hyabeljou), but smock or other firm-fleshed fish may also be used.
- Depending on the time of year and the movements of the fish in False Bay, we fish where we know the fish will be feeding. Inshore fishing trips predominantly target yellowtail and cape snoek. Cape salmon, kob and various species of reef fish are also caught.
3A pale pinkish orange color.
- These have double flowers and come in many colors, including rich-yellow, dark-red, orange, salmon, and white.
- Impatiens come in an amazing array of colors from coral, orange, and salmon to burgundy, red, pink, purple, and white and every shade in between.
- Flower colors are gorgeous pastels of salmon, yellow and orange.
- Example sentences
- When the fish near market size, farmers add astaxanthin, a pigment similar to beta-carotene, to their feed to give their gray flesh a salmony pinkish glow.
- This one is a rich salmony pink called cranberry.
- This is only one river basin, and the salmon are pinks, which, being low-fat and lacking that salmony taste, mostly get smoked, salted or canned.
Middle English samoun, from Anglo-Norman French saumoun, from Latin salmo, salmon-. The spelling with -l- is influenced by Latin.
Words that rhyme with salmonAlabaman, Amman, Ammon, Drammen, gammon, Mammon
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of salmon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.