Definition of salsa in English:
1A type of Latin American dance music incorporating elements of jazz and rock.
- Kidjo's style of music varies from Afro-funk, reggae, samba, salsa, gospel, jazz and rumba.
- The concerts have featured internationally renowned bands playing music as diverse as African dance music, ska, jive, salsa and Bhangra.
- Each solo covers one to two pages, and each presents a different Latin feel or groove such as bossa nova, salsa, Latin rock and Latin swing.
1.1A dance performed to salsa music.
- Havana Night combines the traditional culture of Cuba with modern dance like the salsa, rumba, cha cha cha and mambo.
- Two fields away the band is piping up, and a leggy 16-year-old is performing a convincing salsa with her 50-year-old father.
- She came about being a dancer, well she got that from me to I love ballroom dancing especially salsa and ceroc.
2(Especially in Latin American cooking) a spicy tomato sauce.
- Offering an incredible mix of chillies and salsas, the ‘Mexican Festival’ gives to its guests a chance to sample nine different variants of salsas, besides catching up with some great Mexican music.
- Rob literally came dancing out of his kitchen with some corn chips and two salsas - one salsa fresca and the other salsa chipotle (hot with smoke dried Jalapeno chillies) and began to explain the cuisine.
- Last time I went shopping for the ingredients for taco soup, I found a brand of salsa (I forget the name) that offered salsas in different flavors, such as roasted garlic.
Spanish, literally 'sauce', extended in American Spanish to denote the dance.