1A mine yielding rock salt.
- Most of the salt used by the agency is mined at the rock salt mine in the Cheshire town of Winsford.
- There was a birthday trip into the nether world of a salt mine, where, along with the labarynthine tunnels, the miners had hewn for themselves not one, not two, but three chapels - cut into the white rock.
- The marsh is at the site of an abandoned salt mine.
1.1 (usually salt mines) humorous Used in reference to a person’s job or place of work: we had a lot of fun, but tomorrow it’s back to the salt mines
More example sentences
- So it's back to the salt mines here in Cambridge.
- But until then, it's back to the salt mines (law firm) for me…
- There have been a series of summer transfer stories (or in actual fact non-stories) which have had the fans working long and hard in the salt mines that are the football forums.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: salt mine
Definition of salt mine in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.