- A plant of the goosefoot family that typically grows in salt marshes. It is rich in alkali and its ashes were formerly used in soap-making.
More example sentences
- Genus Salsola, family Chenopodiaceae
- Saltwort is native to Europe, Asia and North America. Saltwort is an annual that can grow to 2' tall. The leaves are scaly and turn a brilliant red in the fall. Saltwart grows in salty marshes.
- SALTWORT, a perennial bush that grows on salt marshes around the world, has unexpectedly turned out to be a nutritious food source. The plant could become a new crop for farmers whose land is too choked with salt to support ordinary crops.
More definitions of saltwortDefinition of saltwort in:
- The British & World English dictionary