Definition of sand painting in English:
1An American Indian ceremonial art form, important among the Navajo and Pueblo peoples, using colored sands, used especially in connection with healing ceremonies.
- Each row of buttons is radiant with corrugated bands of colored sand that recall Tibetan and Navajo sand painting, as well as that of the pathways of the Australian Aborigines.
- He wasn't just devoted to his music, he was something of a renaissance man, branching out into pottery, sand painting, and particularly assemblage art.
- Be it squiggles, origami (folding without cutting), art and craft displays, pencil sketching or painting of all sorts, including oil crayon painting, sand painting and spray painting, the tender children are at it.
1.1An example of sand painting.
- A theory that has been much discussed is that he was influenced by sand paintings of the Navajo Indians of New Mexico, who in certain rituals pour coloured earth onto the ground to form elaborate patterns.
- The work suggests vast landscapes and rivers seen from on high, and alludes to African and Native American sand paintings, while functioning as an effective abstraction in its own right.
- A particular spread can serve the same purpose as a Navajo sand painting to help the patient get in touch with different psycho-physiological aspects relating to their healing.
Definition of sand painting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.