Definition of sand martin in English:
A gregarious swallowlike bird with dark brown and white plumage, excavating nest holes in sandy banks and cliffs near water.
- Genus Riparia, family Hirundinidae: three species, in particular the widespread R. riparia (bank swallow)
- Here we use a standardized task to measure the impact of manipulated tail streamer lengths on maneuvering flight in the barn swallow and in the sand martin, a closely related species that lacks a streamer.
- Mention of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area's many rare and endangered species drew loud and spirited booing from the audience, who failed to see why a bank swallow or snowy plover should take precedence over Fido.
- Locals supported claims by the Friends of the Irish Environment group that blasting and excavations on the foreshore at Glengad posed a potential threat to the sand martin, a species of bird which is known to nest there.
Definition of sand martin in:
- British & World English dictionary