Definition of sand martin in English:
A gregarious swallowlike bird with dark brown and white plumage, excavating nest holes in sandy banks and cliffs near water.
- Genus Riparia, family Hirundinidae: three species, in particular the widespread R. riparia (bank swallow)
- Here we use a standardized task to measure the impact of manipulated tail streamer lengths on maneuvering flight in the barn swallow and in the sand martin, a closely related species that lacks a streamer.
- Mention of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area's many rare and endangered species drew loud and spirited booing from the audience, who failed to see why a bank swallow or snowy plover should take precedence over Fido.
- Locals supported claims by the Friends of the Irish Environment group that blasting and excavations on the foreshore at Glengad posed a potential threat to the sand martin, a species of bird which is known to nest there.
Definition of sand martin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan