1North American A shallow box or hollow in the ground partly filled with sand for children to play in.
- Angular poles resemble trees and there are cylinders, a tyre swing, and large sandbox, picturesquely arrayed like a series of exhibits in a sculpture garden.
- There is a pretty neat sandbox and slide near me too.
- Keep your child's outdoor sandbox covered, especially overnight, to prevent wandering cats from using it as a litter box.
2 Computing A virtual space in which new or untested software can be run securely.
- User-Mode Linux allows you to build running Linux systems within Linux systems for use as sandboxes or virtual servers.
- I spent a few minutes in a sandbox Thomas made available and the system seems cleanly designed, easy to ‘get’, and flexible.
- A version of the search engine has been accessible for some time through Microsoft's sandbox site here.
3 (also sandbox tree) A tropical American tree whose seed cases were formerly used to hold sand for blotting ink.
- Hura crepitans, family Euphorbiaceae.
- Sometimes strong emetics, such as the seed of the sandbox tree, were used to bring on menstruation.
- The drive must negotiate a narrow fairway between clammy cherry, sour-sop and African sandbox trees, which are known on Nevis as monkey no go round trees because of the bark's thorns.
Words that rhyme with sandboxbandbox
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of sandbox in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.