1North American A shallow box or hollow in the ground partly filled with sand for children to play in.
- Angular poles resemble trees and there are cylinders, a tyre swing, and large sandbox, picturesquely arrayed like a series of exhibits in a sculpture garden.
- There is a pretty neat sandbox and slide near me too.
- Keep your child's outdoor sandbox covered, especially overnight, to prevent wandering cats from using it as a litter box.
2 Computing A virtual space in which new or untested software can be run securely.
- User-Mode Linux allows you to build running Linux systems within Linux systems for use as sandboxes or virtual servers.
- I spent a few minutes in a sandbox Thomas made available and the system seems cleanly designed, easy to ‘get’, and flexible.
- A version of the search engine has been accessible for some time through Microsoft's sandbox site here.
3 (also sandbox tree) A tropical American tree whose seed cases were formerly used to hold sand for blotting ink.
- Hura crepitans, family Euphorbiaceae
- Sometimes strong emetics, such as the seed of the sandbox tree, were used to bring on menstruation.
- The drive must negotiate a narrow fairway between clammy cherry, sour-sop and African sandbox trees, which are known on Nevis as monkey no go round trees because of the bark's thorns.
Words that rhyme with sandboxbandbox
Definition of sandbox in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.