Definition of sanderling in English:
A small migratory sandpiper of northern Eurasia and Canada, typically seen running after receding waves on the beach.
- Calidris alba, family Scolopacidae
- White-rumped sandpipers and sanderlings were the two shorebirds observed most frequently on surveys along the north area coast during the post-nesting period in August 1995.
- He said it was crucially important as a refuelling stop’ for migratory birds and resident species, ranging from oyster catchers to sanderlings and curlews.
- On the coasts, the Caribbean to the east and the Pacific to the west, there were mangrove swamps with frigate birds, great egrets, pelicans, skimmers, sanderlings and vultures.
Early 17th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with sanderlingmiddling • doodling
Definition of sanderling in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan