Definition of sanders in English:
The timber of the red sandalwood, from which a red dye is obtained.
- This timber is obtained from Pterocarpus santalinus, family Leguminosae
- The area once rich with red sanders, sandalwood and teak trees, deer, boars, wild sheep and tigers, was widely plundered before it was declared a reserve forest.
- Red sanders is endemic to the Seshachalam hill ranges spread over Chittoor, Cuddapah and partly in Nellore and Kurnool districts.
- Under India's Foreign Trade Policy, exports of red sanders are prohibited and the logs were seized under the Customs Act of 1962.
Middle English: from Old French sandre, variant of sandle 'sandalwood'.
Words that rhyme with sandersglanders, Landers, Randers
Definition of sanders in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.