Definition of sandgrouse in English:
noun (plural same)
A seed-eating ground-dwelling bird with brownish plumage, allied to the pigeons and found in the deserts and arid regions of the Old World.
- Family Pteroclididae, genera Pterocles and Syrrhaptes: several species
- It has been suggested that columbids are closely related to gamebirds, buttonquails, parrots, shorebirds and sandgrouse (sandgrouse are sometimes included in the order Columbiformes).
- In addition, there are other male-incubating species such as buttonquail, mesites, sandgrouse, and shorebirds that have neither helpers nor communal cooperation.
- Reviews the 250 species of pheasants, partridges, grouse, quails, turkeys, guineafowls, buttonquails, sandgrouse, and plains-wanderers of the world.
Definition of sandgrouse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan