Definition of sandhill crane in English:
A chiefly migratory North American crane with grayish plumage and a red crown.
- Grus canadensis, family Gruidae
- Two species are native to North America, the whooping crane and the sandhill crane (G. canadensis).
- With the Mississippi sandhill crane breeding facility in operation for seven years, the Audubon facility has proven that dwindling crane populations can be boosted through a combination of artificial insemination and hand-rearing.
- The ‘Marshland Elegy’ chapter of Sand County ends with an epitaph to the sandhill crane.
Definition of sandhill crane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.