Definition of sandpiper in English:
A wading bird with a long bill and typically long legs, nesting on the ground near water and frequenting coastal areas on migration.
- Family Scolopacidae (the sandpiper family): several genera, especially Calidris, Tringa, and Actitis, and numerous species, including the western sandpiper (C. mauri), which breeds on the seashores of Alaska and winters from the southern US to Peru, and the spotted sandpiper (A. macularia), which prefers lakes and streams and is the most widespread North American sandpiper. The sandpiper family also includes the godwits, curlews, redshanks, turnstones, phalaropes, woodcock, snipe, and ruff
- Spotted redshank share their forest-marsh nesting grounds with wood sandpipers, greenshank, whimbrel, jack snipe and broad-billed sandpipers.
- Under the shade of a banyan, we train our binoculars on the far side of the lake and Little grebes, Grey herons, godwits, coots and sandpipers resolve themselves into view.
- When we arrived, it was past the peak of the fall shorebird migration, but there were still hundreds of sandpipers and plovers resting and feeding on Monomoy.
Words that rhyme with sandpiperbagpiper
Definition of sandpiper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan