- 1A lower-class Parisian republican in the French Revolution.More example sentences
- For the urban poor and even respectable tradesmen, hunger was never far away and during the French Revolution the Parisian sans-culottes had a national maximum for prices as one of their principal political goals.
- While the French Revolution politicized the sans-culottes, the Industrial Revolution industrialized them.
- Proposals were initially made to revise the Constitution of 1793 but, in the wake of abortive uprisings by the Parisian sans-culottes in the spring of 1795, a fresh document was devised instead.
- 1.1An extreme republican or revolutionary.More example sentences
- Along with sans-culotte politics came revolutionary tactics.
- The statement's adoption was in line with the republican movement's calculated agenda to get into power on both sides of the border as an electoral avenue towards a united Ireland with a Sinn Féin sans-culotte hue.
- Neither was it a Rousseauist abstraction, but a body of angry sans-culottes protesting against the recession and tax increases.
- More example sentences
- Herbert, he argues, had difficulties in adopting a clear attitude to two currents predominant during the year II - sans-culottism and Jacobinism.
- We wish to know if a cultural, a literary sans-culottism is possible, except with chaos as a goal.
French, literally 'without breeches'.
More definitions of sans-culotteDefinition of sans-culotte in:
- The British & World English dictionary