Definition of santero in English:
noun (plural santeros)
1(In Mexico and Spanish-speaking areas of the southwestern US) a person who makes religious images.
- While his works and those of many other accomplished santeros are painted, the Spanish colonial tradition also includes nonpainted santos.
- Unfortunately (at least, given the demands of orientalist discourse), as exotic as santero art might be, all the early santeros were male.
- These days there are so many santeros (crafters of santos) that one enthusiastic collector says, ‘It's like there's a wood-carver behind every tree.’
2A priest of the Santeria religious cult.
- A Manhattan-based santero priestess describes mercury as ‘a magnet that brings luck and love.’
- As an anglo santero, for example, you might be playing out the roles inscribed by colonial culture, but you're enacting a taboo - ‘going native.’
- Have you considered going to a santero (I'm not sure if the same term is used in Candomblé) and asking for help or advice?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan