Definition of sapodilla in English:
1A large, evergreen, tropical American tree that has edible fruit and hard, durable wood and yields chicle.
- Manilkara zapota, family Sapotaceae
- All the sculptures on display are made of wood of different types: jackfruit wood, sapodilla wood, longan wood and the durable teakwood.
- The house, erected across four thick branches of a towering sapodilla tree is hidden among its lush, green leaves.
- The genus Madhuca belongs to the same family as the sapodilla, and some species have edible, although poor, fruits.
1.1 (also sapodilla plum) The sweet, brownish, bristly fruit of the sapodilla tree.
- If you are growing custard apples, bananas, sapodillas and carambolas, they could all do with a dressing of citrus and fruit tree fertiliser spread evenly around under the leaf canopy.
- There are zapotes, the sapodilla plums from which the Aztecs and others derived their word for the Zapotecs (a people properly known, in their own language, as the ‘Biniza’).
- Firm sapodillas are unripe and guarantee a nasty, tongue-curling experience for the eater due to a high tannin content.
Words that rhyme with sapodillaAnguilla, Aquila, Attila, Camilla, cedilla, chiller, chinchilla, driller, Drusilla, fibrillar, filler, flotilla, fulfiller, Godzilla, gorilla, griller, guerrilla, killer, Manila, manilla, mantilla, miller, pillar, Priscilla, sarsaparilla, Schiller, scilla, scintilla, spiller, swiller, thriller, tiller, vanilla, vexilla, villa, Willa, willer, zorilla
Definition of sapodilla in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.